If you visited Google this morning, you probably noticed the striking Doodle for International Women’s Day, but do you know what it is all about?
International Women’s Day (March 8) is a global day celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women. This year’s International Women’s Day also marks a call to action for accelerating gender parity.
International Women’s Day began in 1908 when 15,000 audacious women marched throughout the streets of New York City to demand shorter hours, better pay, and voting rights.
The Purple color symbolizes justice and dignity — two values strongly connected to women’s equality.
In 1975, the United Nations gave official recognition to International Women’s Day, and it is now an official holiday in 27 countries (Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Burkina Faso, Cambodia, China, Cuba, Georgia, Guinea-Bissau, Eritrea, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Madagascar, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Nepal, Russia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uganda, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Zambia). Since then, it has become a global day of celebration for the major accomplishments of women.
This day is of great significance to the female gender as it gives us a chance to celebrate all of our accomplishments, prove once more our importance in the world and call for greater equality.
Here are 10 online creative ways to celebrate and make a difference.
1) Follow the IWD Pinterest account.
2) Follow IWD on Twitter.
3) Tweet with #PledgeForParity (the theme of International Women’s Day 2016).
4) Join the IWD community on Facebook.
5) Watch International Women’s Day videos on YouTube.
6) Insert the IWN logo in your email signature block for the day.
7) Make an online donation to your favorite women’s charity.
8)) Retweet posts from charities and organisations (the UN, Oxfam, Care International, Plan, etc.) who run their own campaigns for International Women’s Day.
9) Create your own video for International Women’s Day and upload it to YouTube.
10) International Women’s Day is about celebrating the achievements of women past, present and future. Email the women in your life and let them know why they’re special to you.
Image Courtesy: photo.elsoar.com
Join our newsletter
Sign up today for free and be the first to get notified of new updated.